SOLAR ENERGY DEVELOPER
Lightsource bp is a is a leader in solar development and America’s low carbon energy transition. We're a 50:50 joint venture with bp, working together to help drive the world’s transition to low carbon energy through competitively priced and sustainable electricity.
We are developing the Birch Solar farm, about 10 miles southwest of Lima in Auglaize and Allen Counties.
One thing that makes us unique is our owner/operator model - meaning we have a vested interest in the long term success of our solar project, and will operate and maintain the project for its entire lifecycle. As such, it’s important for us to be good neighbors and long-term partners of the local community.
Lightsource bp has a deep commitment to delivering clean and affordable energy as well as maximizing the environmental sustainability and positive social impacts of each of our projects. We call this approach Responsible Solar and it includes:
- Preserving existing trees and adding natural screening in order to integrate with the landscape.
- Developing long-term land management plans that foster biodiversity and pollinators, and create wildlife habitats.
- Community giving through dedicating philanthropic funds.
- Maximizing local jobs through working with our general contractors to hire local subcontractors, suppliers, and recruit from the local labor pool.
- Where possible, we combine solar farms with agriculture – for the Birch project we’re planning to employ Ohio farmers through sheep grazing.